What is life without cheese? Seriously.
I’ve been dairy-free since 2015. Not tolerating lactose, casein, or whey, doesn’t allow for any.
There are, however, quite a few cheese alternative options available for purchase at various health food stores, but they all seem to come with a catch. Whether it’s coconut, tree nut, soy, canola oil, nutritional yeast, or tapioca, there is some allergen present.
Until now!! Thanks to Bethany from lilsipper.com, I’ve found a recipe adaptable enough to be low-FODMAP, SIBO-friendly, as well as anti-candida, SCD-legal, AIP, paleo, dairy-free, vegan, egg-free, gluten/grain-free, soy-free, nut-free, coconut-free…allergen free!
AND it’s slice-able, cube-able, shred-able, and melt-able!
1 large rhutabaga
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp sunflower seed butter
1.5 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp curry powder
3/4 Tbsp mustard
4 scoops Vital Proteins Gelatin
1. For either recipe, steam cauliflower until soft and while still hot/warm, puree cauliflower in a high speed blender (I used my Vitamix) until creamy. Do not add any liquid.
2. Next add remaining ingredients for whatever recipe you’re making (besides the gelatin) and puree again.
3. Lastly, add gelatin and puree once last time, making sure all ingredients are blended in well.
4. Pour cheese puree into either a pan/container lined with wax/parchment paper or you can also pour them into silicone molds for cheese cubes (I’ve done both ways). Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until firm.
5. Once firm, slice it, grate it, or cube it! It’s “grate” (yes, I made a pun there!) on nachos, pizza, pasta, zoodles, salads, or melted into a sauce!
*Store in the refrigerator no more than 5 days. You can also freeze it!
Adapted from Lil Sipper’s originally recipe available HERE.